Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2014

mini maker faire::smashing success

The Columbia Mini Maker Faire was a smashing success!  Jillian, the famous ReFashionista, and I started our morning with four sewing machines, three racks of thrifted clothing, and multiple energy-enhancing beverages.  We ended with four sewing machines and a near hundred awesome folks who creatively slashed and sewed to make new garments.

Every sewing machine was in full force for the entire course of the day, as parents guided their children through their sewing adventures.  For many, it was the first time touching a sewing machine.  Others were more experienced and, after a moment of creative consultation, I would turn around to see an amazing and transformed new garment emerge from the wreckage of the previously hideous garment.

Creativity abounded.  The imaginative pieces created by our exhibit visitors was amazing.  I gathered so many new ideas for refashioning clothes.  It's so inspiring to work with other people who have a passion for what you do!  Check out our day!


This awesome lady turned a skirt upside down and made a shirt by closing up the bottom of the skirt.  She experimented with the decorative stitches on the sewing machine and added a few bits of extra flair to her piece.  I never use anything but the practical stiches - shame on me!  



This next pair were incredibly creative coming in.  And totally overwhelmed my ego by deferring to me as an expert.  Swoon.  This little guy was in the process of creating a Jack-o-Pack: a jacket the also functions as a backpack.  He handstitched an entire jacket with millions of pockets and secret contraptions together from his own invention.  How cool is he?


To make his project, he took a vest (about the manliest thing we had, which is suppose what you get when refashioning with a pair of chicks) and added some pantlegs to make sleeves.  I helped by showing them how many times I have to pin and repin things to make sure I'm sewing the pieces together right.  Oh and I also showed them how to use the sewing machine.


The young lady below brought me a Christmas-looking leopard dress and said she wanted to make a jacket out it.  I suggested she use the back as the front and helped them chop off the skirt portion to keep the zipper intact.  I went to help someone else get started and turned around to this amazing creation!  Go mom for your awesome sewing skills!


These adorable sisters were helped by their dad the whole time.  Their DAD.  Go dad!  He guided them through the entire creative process, helping one turn a skirt into a swimsuit coverup and the other add a flower applique to a sweet silver shirt.  I sadly trid to help her add another flower to a purse and it went horribly wrong.  Dad did way better than me!


This mother-daughter pair were off the chain.  I call this dress the Snow White Party Dress because it reminds of me Snow White with a little golden sparkle.  This mom sewed a piece of an 80's prom dress to a golden shirt.  Throwback: the first dress I wore to a school dance was from the same royal blue material refashioned from a similarly hideous 80s prom dress, only I bejelewed it instead of adding golden splendor to the top.


This cool chick was inspired to put the top of one dress with the bottom of another dress together.  This is such a great idea!  I'm definitely going to be doing this in the (near) future.


This awesome girl hacked off the bottom of a jean dress and added a little bit of flair to the bottom.  I see a serious refashionista in the making here!


Even at the end of the day, Jillian was still working her magic, turning this beflowered mumu into a super fashionable strapless dress.  These two made fast friends as soon as this girl told Jillian she aspired to be a fashion designer.


This young man and his mom turned a dress shirt into a pillowcase.  I sat down with them for their "creative consultation" and asked him what he wanted to do with the long-sleeve button-up.  When he told me he wanted to make a pillowcase, I was floored.  I had been trying to think of something to do with this shirt for ages.  He's brilliant!  (PS.  Mom sewed the whole thing!  Go mom!)


Basically, we had an epic day.  So many creations were made and inspirations were given.  Thank you to everyone who shared a little bit of sewing fun with us.  And remember, keep making awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment